Sunday, December 17, 2006

Christmas Time


I grew up in a house that really wasn't into big presents. Mainly socks, sweaters, and practical stuff. No underwear though, at least not that I remember. In my family all Holidays were about the food, and Christmas was no exception. We made fudge, well Mom made fudge. It apparently was pretty good, because when I made it one year and tried to pass it off as my mother's. People could tell the difference. In fact the Rabbi's wife (from the Messianic Jewish Synagogue that my father went to) was rather frank at how unimpressed she was with my poor attempt. Any way we loved food, and still do. We love the Hams, and Roasts, and cookies, and every other kind of treat you can think of. It makes me wonder what kind of traditions I want my children to grow up with. I wonder if there is a way to take out the material nature of Christmas for kids now. I wonder if there is some balance that I can achieve with my children about showing them love with traditional gifts but also give them perspective on how many others in this nation and in the world have so little. Maybe a tradition of working at a soup kitchen or homeless shelter a couple of nights during the season. Showing love to people in a real and tangible way...the way that Jesus calls us to. The way that Jesus shows us with his unconditional love. If we can show that love to others, we can bring the Christ back into Christmas.

No comments: